Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Kha-nom Tan (Toddy Palm Cake)

This is one of my favorite Thai desserts. I have never made them before until I got back from my Thailand trip earlier this year and wondered if I could make them myself. This would absolutely help my craving for Thai desserts. I could buy some Thai desserts here in China Town but they don't taste very good compare to what I had in Thailand, and I have never seen Kha-nom Tan sells here.
The main ingredient of Kha-nom Tan is the toddy palm ("Tan" means toddy palm), which is pretty much impossible to find some fresh ones here. But the same with everything else, I looked for my solution online. And immediately I found a site that sell Thai food products. So I bought a bottle of ready to use toddy palm paste.

Ingredients:

1 cup toddy palm paste
2 1/2 cups rice flour
1/2 teaspoon yeast
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup palm sugar
3 cups coconut milk
1 teaspoon salt
some shredded unsweetened coconuts

Directions:

1. Put coconut milk, white sugar, and palm sugar in a pot. Stir them on a medium heat until sugar dissolved and ingredients combined. Turn off the heat and let it cool.
2. Combine rice flour, yeast, and salt together in a medium bowl and pour into the coconut milk mixtures. Add toddy palm paste into the mixtures, stir until smooth.
3. Damp a clean towel and use it to lightly cover the top of the toddy palm mixtures. Leave it out at the room temperature for about 2-4 hours or until the surface of the toddy palm mixtures bubbled.
4. Spoon the mixtures into a small banana leaf cups. Fill it to about 3/4 of the cup. You can also use small ramekins if you cannot find any banana leaves.
5. Put the cups into the steam with already boiling water then cover the lid. Stream it for 15 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, mix the shredded coconuts with a pitch of salt. Sprinkle the toddy palm cake with the shredded coconuts before serving.
Note: You can refrigerate them and warm them in the microwave before serving.


4 comments:

  1. Where can I get Toddy Palm Paste. There are a lots of Toddy products here in Boston but I could not find the Palm Paste

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can find palm paste in Cambodian grocery store. They're in a jar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now day, everything is going to find a new but well settled and successful stream for their career. When I came to this blog, I really impressed by all the knowledge points mentioned here. Thank you for this assistance.
    ลูก กิน ยาก

    ReplyDelete